Friday, April 17, 2015

4/6/15 - Put God First

Hello Family and Friends! This last week was very awesome. In Paraguay they call Easter Week Semana Santa, or Holy Week. Basically it goes like this. 


Sunday before Easter Sunday:They remember when Christ went into Jerusalem on a donkey.
Thursday:They remember the last supper. 
Friday: The crucification (NOBODY DOES ANYTHING THIS DAY. It is like people start living the law of Moses again)
Sunday: The Pascua, or Easter.

It is one of the two times in the year when everyone remembers Jesus Christ. Easter and Christmas. All week there are Jesus pictures, movies, videos, and it is a nice time of year. If only they remembered Christ always though. It is a really Catholic tradition here. The best part of the tradition other than the remembrance of Jesus Christ is the making and giving away of Chipa. I LOVE CHIPA. It is like a bread thing, filled with Paraguayan cheese, and anis. I have to take a picture, but for another day.

This week I had interviews with my mission Presidente. It was my last one. He taught me a very important lesson about the importance of putting God first always in every decision that I make. It says in the scriptures that if I put God first in my life then I will not have to worry about the things of this world, that I will have everything given unto me by God. that doesn't mean that life won´t be easy and it will just be a free ride. God gives us trials so that we can grow and if I always put God first then I won´t have to worry. 

General Conference happened this week. I mostly learned the importance of having an eternal perspective in everything. That this life is not the end. That there's more that will be awaiting those that are worthy of Gods presences. I learned that MARRIAGE in the temple is essential to Gods plan and if we don´t make that covenant with God then we, with our own choices will lose the promised blessings of exaltation. They talked a lot about marriage in conference.

It is hard to describe how I feel. I don't know what to feel. I am trying my best to keep an eternal perspective. I guess the best way I can describe my feelings is just telling you how much love I feel for you, God, and for all of his children. I have seen a lot of things here in Paraguay. I have never been so blessed...they are eternal blessings and I can not explain them in this email. I love God. The greatest treasure that I hold dear is the knowledge that the god I love also loves me. The mission has been fulfilling beyond a level that I can´t describe and I want to thank you all for being a part of it. I´ve still got time left to keep trying my best to help people come to Christ. This opportunity has helped me come unto Christ and strive to be like him. Thank you for all the love and support, until next week.




Elder Jessop

No comments:

Post a Comment